- 1 tbsp. butter plus 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste if necessary
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (big, 1½ lbs.)
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 package of fresh or frozen green peas (1/2 lb.)
- 1 cup finely chopped mint for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp. of the butter and oil. Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat so onions are cooking but not browning, until onions look starchy and a bit creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, stir to combine, cover and cook 2 minutes. Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer, and cook the soup until the cauliflower is tender to the bite, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup with a hand-held blender. Or, whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- If using fresh peas, blanch the peas in boiling water for two minutes until tender but still crisp. If using frozen peas, thaw by placing in a sieve and pouring 3 cups of boiling water through to heat them slightly.
- Finely chop MINT.
- Serve soup warm. Garnish with whole peas, MINT and freshly ground black pepper.
Recipe by FamilyCook Productions Teen Battle Chef™